RE: [xsl] splitting one xml into many xml documents using xsl

Subject: RE: [xsl] splitting one xml into many xml documents using xsl
From: Joerg Pietschmann <joerg.pietschmann@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 10:09:37 +0100
"Michael Kay" <mhkay@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote

> I have to say I don't like solutions that rely on magic characters in the
> output file, it's OK for a one-off hack but not for production use.

I fully agree.
There is of course the universal "Time To Market" argument .. :-)

> What is a reasonable alternative, though, is to write a splitting SAX filter
> to process the output: most Java processors will write output to a
> user-supplied ContentHandler, and you can insert a processing instruction
> into the event stream to cause this to switch output to a new destination.

Would such a content handler be portable between various versions of
Saxon, Xalan-1 and Xalan-2?
Apart from this: How do i create directories in a java program without the
additional pain of searching for apropriate libraries or resorting to JNI?
I'm not quite up to date in this area, having written my last pava program
more than a year ago... (Well, there are hazy memories about a function
to launch external programs...)

I think i should write an essay what can go wrong with document() (both
input and for the proposed output) .

> Mike Kay
> Software AG

Regards