Re: [xsl] How to specify a path to a node in a nodeset using a variable

Subject: Re: [xsl] How to specify a path to a node in a nodeset using a variable
From: "Shakeel Mahate" <shakeelmahate@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 08:34:29 -0700
From: "Jeni Tennison" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> > Is $container//account/person/@name a valid XPath expression?
>
> Yes.  It says:
>
> > I tried looking up the documentation for the saxon:evaluate and
> > xalan:evaluate() but I couldnt answer the question.
>
> If you want to learn about XPath expressions, you should have a look
> at the XPath Recommendation at http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath.  Or one of
> the online tutorials about them.

The XPath TR contains just 5 references to '$' and another 5 references to
'VariableReference'.  There arent any examples or explanation of
VariableReference.

Can VariableReference contain VariableReferences?

Can an expression contain more than one VariableReference?

The VariableReference is something that is not obvious after reading the
spec.

Thanks a lot for your help.

I would suggest that the evaluate function in Kay's XSLT reference should
have some more meat (not the EU meat :-)

-Shakeel