Re: [xsl] efficient XML & XSL -> HTML solution

Subject: Re: [xsl] efficient XML & XSL -> HTML solution
From: Larry Garfield <lgarfiel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 16:12:13 -0600
If you want to just statically create a bunch of HTML pages, one easy
option is to write up a very simple bash script (if you're on Linux, you
can do a WSH script if you're on Windows) that calls Xalan's testXSLT
program on each file and writes out the resulting file.  That's what I do
now.  When I update, I just run the script (takes about 3 seconds) and
it's done.

For dynamic transforms, the latest version of PHP4 has the Sabletron XSLT
engine built-in, and you can transform pages automatically when called
using a simple PHP wrapper.  I've not worked with it myself yet, I plan
to give it a try as soon as I can upgrade my system, but it sounds like a
good solution for people who don't have root access on their server to
install new apache modules (as is my situation, my hosting provider
doesn't give me root access for under $100 <g>).

skhurshid@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi,
> I need an efficient solution for putting together XML & XSL
> and serving it out as HTML. It seems like the most efficient
> way would be to generate static HTML from the XML & XSL
> and then serve it out from my Web Server. Or I could use
> mod_xslt for Apache or Cocoon to put these together dynamically
> (i.e. just before the page is served out).
> Since I don't need to put them together dynamically, I'm reluctant
> to do this. On the other hand it would be nice not to have
> to generate the html every time the XML or XSL changes.
> Has anyone tried mod_xslt ? How efficient is it (compared to
> serving straight HTML) ? Does it use caching to speed things
> up (perhaps check the timestamp on the XML & XSL files instead
> of blindly generating the HTML for every request) ?
> Thanks :-)
> -Sher

Larry Garfield
lgarfiel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Do you have a PalmOS Organizer?  Click here to add me to your address
book:
http://signature.coola.com/?lgarfiel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-- "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you." :-)