Re: [exslt] output methods (Was: Re: [xsl] Twig::, Xalan, and Character Escaping)

Subject: Re: [exslt] output methods (Was: Re: [xsl] Twig::, Xalan, and Character Escaping)
From: Francis Norton <francis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 14:10:29 +0000
Jeni Tennison wrote:

> Absolutely.  I think there are several output methods that might be
> useful to standardise on, so that you can get URL encoding and named
> entities rather than character entities where appropriate.
>
> For example:
>
>   exslt:xhtml
>   exslt:svg
>   exslt:mathml
>
> Any other suggestions for standard output methods?

Aha! I'd been assuming the solution was to provide url-encode() and
url-decode() methods.

If we're going to provide an extensible list of alternative methods,
then maybe we need a way of expressing and implementing the rules
concerned. Possibly we start with phrasing similar to that for HTML

	"The html output method may output a character using a character entity
reference, if one is defined for it in the version of HTML that the
output method is using."

for the character entities; and something rather like a transform for
specifying which elements or attributes get their text content encoded;
and finshing up with an exsl:<myOutput>-encode() function for actually
encoding them.

Francis.