[xsl] special char in html textarea using xsl?

Subject: [xsl] special char in html textarea using xsl?
From: Sylvia Lowden <Lowden@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 16:54:39 -0800
I am trying to apply an xsl stylesheet to an xml document that places text
within a textarea field of a form.  This
  text comes from several xml tags and I need to put a linefeed in between
each batch of text.  So far everything I
  try such as '\n' shows up in the textarea as '\n'

  Assigning '\n' to an xsl variable doesn't do it.  I've also tried
assigning the value to a variable in javascript but
  am not having much luck.  I can't seem to call the javascript function
from within the xsl.

  Does anyone have any suggestions?

  TIA,
  Sylvia