Re: [xsl] The "%" in DTD

Subject: Re: [xsl] The "%" in DTD
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 13:33:31 -0600 (MDT)
Tobias Reif wrote:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/
> calls them "Character entity references"
> some abbreviate that to "entities".

No, read it again. A character entity reference is

  &apos;
  &amp;
  &eacute;

etc.

&#1234; is simply a (numeric) character reference.

> > and,
> > as noted, fails to be a reliable reference when used with Netscape 4.x.
>
> NN4 has problems with rendering large tables; IE5 does that better;

That's not what I was referring to, but you are correct on that point as
well.

The problem with NN 4.x is that it mistakenly considers numeric character
references to mean characters in the current encoding. That is, &#161;
will be an inverted exclamation mark if interpreting the HTML as
iso-8859-1, but will be a Cyrillic capital letter IO if iso-8859-5. This
is entirely wrong behavior.

   - Mike