RE: [xsl] xmlns in an attribute

Subject: RE: [xsl] xmlns in an attribute
From: "Michael Kay" <mhkay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 13:25:24 +0100
> I'm trying to add a namespace declaration to an element as I
> am copying it...
>
> I get: "Invalid attribute name: xmlns" from Saxon 6.22.
>
> I have just read that the system will determine where to put
> namespaces in
> the output and I cannot output xmlns attribute.

Correct, a namespace declaration is not an attribute according to the XPath
tree model.

> If I have got this right,
> then it will not output a namespace on the child of an
> element with the same namespace?

Saxon will ensure that there are namespace declarations in the output file
for all the namespace nodes that are present in the result tree; it will
also avoid outputting unnecessary duplicates.

> My XML is a set of records contained in a record set tag, we
> need to split
> it into a series of records each with their own namespace
> declaration as
> well as doing some transformation.

If you are doing the splitting using a textual process rather than an
XML-based process, then you've got a problem copying the namespace
declarations from outer elements. Why not do the splitting using Saxon? Or
you could do it using a SAX filter, as you suggest.

Mike Kay
Software AG