Re: [xsl] Reference to functions (Was: RE: XPath 2.0: Collection-Valued Expressions (Was: Re: XQuery 1.0 and XPath 2.0 Functions and Operators Version 1.0))

Subject: Re: [xsl] Reference to functions (Was: RE: XPath 2.0: Collection-Valued Expressions (Was: Re: XQuery 1.0 and XPath 2.0 Functions and Operators Version 1.0))
From: Jim Melton <jim.melton@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2001 10:15:32 -0600
Gentlepeople...

At 09:57 PM 9/7/2001 -0700 Friday, Dimitre Novatchev wrote:
> As you'll see from the published data model, there is no current intention
> to support functions or expressions as a data type in the language.

So, one significant and useful feature has been ignored...

While I understand why you might be disappointed, you must understand that there are tradeoffs and the need for balance everywhere. "Ignored" is most certainly not the right word, since hours of discussion have been undergone.

> So there's likely to be syntax akin to XQuery's

> sum(for $i in //item return $i/@price * $i/@qty)

I find this a definite step backawrds from the concise and compact syntax of XPath
1.0.

We are *not* talking about the syntax of XPath 2.0 here. We're talking about the specification of "Functions and Operators for XQuery 1.0 and XPath 2.0"; that is, there are (at least) languages being addressed, not just one. While I want your needs to be met, yours are not the only needs under consideration. There are people/companies with demonstrated, articulated needs for a query language more powerful than XPath and we are trying to address those requirements, too. Trust me, I will not personally force you to use that new query language ;^) You are more than welcome to continue using XPath.

With tongue firmly in cheek,
   Jim
Jim Melton --- Editor of ISO/IEC 9075-* (SQL)     Phone: +1.801.942.0144
Oracle Corporation            Oracle Email: mailto:jim.melton@xxxxxxxxxx
1930 Viscounti Drive          Standards email: mailto:jim.melton@xxxxxxx
Sandy, UT 84093-1063           Personal email: mailto:jim.melton@xxxxxxx
USA                                                Fax : +1.801.942.3345