Re: [xsl] Whitespace question

Subject: Re: [xsl] Whitespace question
From: "Ragulf Pickaxe" <jawxml@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 13:07:56 +0000

In order to distinguish these two cases, you *must* preserve spaces.  Once
the space is stripped, they are identical, and no amount of XSLT wrangling
will help.

Your options are (1) xml:space="preserve" in the original XML, (2)
xsl:preserve-space in the XSLT, or (3) some switch to MSXML itself before
beginning the transformation.

I will try to look a litle into Michael Kay's solution, then.

The problem, though, is that I only want ' ' preserved, not linefeed and all that kind of things - these are tagged in the xml document:

<Doc>
<P>This is the document with a line feed<Newline/>so this will be on a
new line, but not<NBSP/>
this, which will be on the same line<Bold> Bold text</Bold> <Italic>Italic text, which will be place besides "Bold text" because of the 'whitespace problem'</Italic></P>
</Doc>

I search for NBSP, Newline, Bold, Italic and such and use the appropriate action to get the right output.

Example:

<xsl:template match="Bold">
     <B><xsl:apply-templates /></B>
</xsl:template>

Therefore, preserving whitespace, like what was suggested in Michael Kay's responce, will give other problems as well.

If I do preserve whitespace, how do I ensure that only spaces between tags are carried over to the output document?

- I see now that I should perhaps have been more informative in my first mail, but I tried to keep it short.

Ragulf Pickaxe