Re: [xsl] xslt 2.0, eval-function, call-template

Subject: Re: [xsl] xslt 2.0, eval-function, call-template
From: Francis Norton <francis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 16:02:33 +0100
Hi Volker,

Volker Renneberg wrote:

> Looking at that 2.0 requirement document an "eval"-function doesn't seem to
> be planned. Is this right? Especially for dynamic evaluation I would like to
> have an eval-function in my expressions.

Eval functions open up a big can of worms, in terms of performance,
security and robustness. I would rather see extension function in XSLT
(see below) or closure functions.

> Another thing to think about is the syntax of call-template. To me it is
> very tedious to call templates especially when using parameters (suddenly
> four lines are filled with almost nothing). I would like to have an
> abbreviated syntax:

Some of this requirement would be handled by:

"2.6 Should Allow Authoring Extension Functions in XSLT

As part of the XSLT 1.1 work done on extension functions, a proposal to
author XSLT extension functions in XSLT itself was deferred for
reconsideration in XSLT 2.0. This would allow the functions in an
extension namespace to be implemented in "pure" XSLT, without resulting
to external programming languages."

So where we currently use xsl:call-template as a very clumsy way of
implementing extension functions, we would in future be able to do it
properly, implementing something that can be used via a noce compact
function call.

That's the one I'm looking forward to!

Francis.