RE: [xsl] Re: Overlapping structures

Subject: RE: [xsl] Re: Overlapping structures
From: "Michael Kay" <mhkay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 11:51:22 +0100
> <a>I said <z.start/>I will watch my ways</a>
> <a><x/>and keep my tongue from sin<z.end/></a>
>
> Can somebody give an example to justify why such an ugly
> thing might be necessary in
> the first place?

Because not all information is hierarchical. In particular, with text there
are often several concurrent (overlapping) hierarchies. The most obvious is
the section structure versus the pagination structure. But it's easy to find
other examples: in Shakespeare, the boundaries of "speeches" (defined by who
is speaking) overlap with the boundaries of "lines" (defined by the metre of
the poetry). And if you mark up a document with change markings, the
start/end of changed sections bear no relationship to the logical structure
of the text.

Mike Kay