Re: [xsl] keys and idrefs - XSLT2 request?

Subject: Re: [xsl] keys and idrefs - XSLT2 request?
From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 16:36:53 +0100
Hi Mike,

> P.S. please don't try to engage me in debate on what I've said here.
> This isn't the proper forum for dialogue between W3C working groups
> and the user community. The W3C process is to publish working drafts
> and invite comment on them. If I've strayed from that in this note,
> it's to try and damp down the speculation: please don't make me
> regret it!

OK, I won't comment on some of the things that you mentioned, but
rather wait to see the WDs. All this anticipation is just killing
me...

But without wishing to engage you in debate, could you just clarify a
couple of fundamentals?

> Firstly, XPath 2.0 is being developed jointly by the XSL WG and the
> XQuery WG.

I was under the impression from Jim Melton's mail of 9th September
(http://www.biglist.com/lists/xsl-list/archives/200109/msg00537.html)
that XQuery 1.0 and XPath 2.0 were two different languages, albeit
based on the same data model and functionality.

I was therefore under the impression that the wonderful XSL WG would
be in charge of the development of XPath 2.0 while the slightly
suspect XQuery WG would be in charge of the development of XQuery 1.0.
It gave me hope that XPath 2.0 could be kept simple and elegant for
the XSLT audience, while XQuery 1.0 could be built with the power that
would satisfy their audience.

Is it rather that XQuery 1.0 will be a superset of XPath 2.0?

> It's certainly likely to be true that if you add a schema to an
> existing document, then existing stylesheets will in some cases
> produce different results. For example, if you describe two
> attributes as dates, then they will be compared as dates rather than
> as strings.

I had the impression from the XQuery/XPath data model WD that DTD
information would be treated in a similar way to schemas (e.g. that
you would be able to tell which attributes were IDREFS attributes and
therefore break them up into a sequence of IDREF values). Is this not
the case?

Thanks,

Jeni

---