xsl:lang (was Re: [xsl] <sort lang="sv"/> in Saxon)

Subject: xsl:lang (was Re: [xsl] <sort lang="sv"/> in Saxon)
From: Joerg Pietschmann <joerg.pietschmann@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 18:20:16 +0200
Jeni Tennison <jeni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
> > I'd rather like to have the wording...
> You should suggest it to xsl-editors@xxxxxxx

Just beta-testing... :-)
What's really bad about any unqualified use of the word "environment"
is that it is already used in various IT-related contexts with varying
semantics. That's an invitation for misunderstandings.

> > how does this kind of language specification relate to
> > schema specified datatypes?
>  - you could then guarantee that:
>    <xsl:sort lang="{cast as xs:language($foo)}" />
>  would give a valid value for the lang attribute.

For me, with the inclination to poke holes into everything, this
is BIG FUN :-). The list of valid values has an obvious tendency
to vary over time (we had a bunch of new ISO codes in the last few
years). I suppose nobody interprets this as mandating an online
connection to the authorities (ISO and IANA) so that, for example,
the string 'i-wurbl' would be checked whether it is valid to be
cast to xs:lang? But then, this would be cool web services to
provide! :-)

> <xsl:collation name="Swedish"
>                template="Swedish-sort"
>                ...? />
>
> so that you could write your own template to compare two values, used
> by xf:compare() and xsl:sort.

Neat idea. Though i hope having functionality for normalizing Unicode
strings and a TR10 collation framework built in is mandated or at least
recommended, as programming this in XSLT is, to reuse a recently used
phrase, 'no fun at all'.

Regards
J.Pietschmann