[xsl] Getting at original document from inside document()

Subject: [xsl] Getting at original document from inside document()
From: "Phil Endecott" <spam-from-xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 09:24:38 -0400 (EDT)
Dear XSL experts,

Once I am in a document selected by a document() function, is there
any way to refer to nodes in the original source document?

Here's a (contrived) example: I have this as my main source document:

<book title="foo">
  <chapter src="chap1.xml"/>
</book>

Then I have a stylesheet that does something like:

<xsl:template match="chapter">
  <xsl:apply-templates select="document(@src)/*"/>
</xsl:template>

and then somewhere deep in the processing of the chapter's contents I
want to use the book's title.  At first I naively tried /book/@title -
but that doesn't work, because / is the root of chap1.xml, not of the
source document.  I could use document('....')/book/@title, if I knew
what the name of the original source file was: but I don't.

I was hoping that something like document('')/book/@title would get
the answer, but it looks like this gets the stylesheet, not the
original input document.

Of course there are various hacks to get or fix the filename that
could have the desired effect, but I was hoping that someone would
know of a "clean" way to do this.

Any ideas anyone?

Maybe there is a case for adding something to the next XSL to do this?

Thanks,

--Phil.