RE: [xsl] Writing to file vs. storing in a variable

Subject: RE: [xsl] Writing to file vs. storing in a variable
From: "Michael Kay" <mhkay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 22:17:06 +0100
> The problem is that the first part of the second approach
> takes about 50%
> LONGER than all of the steps in the first approach.  I have
> tried using
> Saxon and Xalan, and they are pretty equivalent(other than
> Xalan being a
> big memory hog).
>
> Can anybody explain to me why this would be the case?

Serialization and parsing are expensive. Instead of using a file as the
intermediate form between two transformations, connect the two
transformations end-to-end as a SAX pipeline, so the nodes produced by the
first are fed straight into the second. Look at the SAXTransformerFactory
class in JAXP.

Mike Kay