[xsl] methods of inserting html into output?

Subject: [xsl] methods of inserting html into output?
From: "Steve Renshaw" <renshaw_steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 22:33:42 +0000
This inquiry is more inline with constructing a FAQ, but I am sitting
here wondering about the various techniques one can use to insert
html in the output. So let me ask, "What are the various ways of
inserting html/css/javascript into the output? When would you use
each technique?" I seem to just write what I need an innovate when
it doesn't work. Now I would like a more thorough understanding.
This is what I come up with on first thought:

1) In-line literal elements into template body:
<xsl:template ...>
  <tag> ... </tag>
</xsl:template>

USE WHEN SIMPLICITY IS NEEDED

2) Wrap in CDATA section

<!--CDATA[
 <tag> ... </tag>
]]>

USE WHEN NEED TO PRESERVE INDENTATION IN OUTPUT?

3) <xsl:element> and <xsl:attribute>
  <xsl:element name="tag">
   <xsl:attribute name="attr" value="value"/>
  </xsl:element>

USE WHEN ?

4) <xsl:text>

USE WHEN?