Re: [xsl] Can't pass parameters across differing contexts?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Can't pass parameters across differing contexts?
From: Joerg Pietschmann <joerg.pietschmann@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 09:46:15 +0200
"Hunsberger, Peter" <Peter.Hunsberger@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've got an XSLT template producing HTML using a series of templates that
> look like the following:
[rearranged]
> The hard coded display of the parameter value in
> the "options" template shows no value being passed to the template

That's because it got lost. It's a common trap related to
built-in templates and mentioned in the FAQ. More details:

> <xsl:template match="list/*">
[...]
>   <xsl:apply-templates select="document(...)" mode="list">
>      <xsl:with-param name="sel" select="'X'"/>
>   </xsl:apply-templates>

This statement tells the processor to apply templates to
the root node of the document loaded. Since you probably
dont have a template defined for root nodes with mode "list"
it applies the built-in template, which discards the parameter
without notice.

> <xsl:template match="options" mode="list">
>     <xsl:param name="sel"/>
[...]

Since this template is probably invoked from a built-in template,
the parameter is unassigned.

Try either to select the nodes you are interested in directly
in the apply-templates:

  <xsl:apply-templates select="document(...)//options" mode="list">
     <xsl:with-param name="sel" select="'X'"/>
  </xsl:apply-templates>

or override some default templates to pass the parameter (code
omitted).
See the spec at http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#built-in-rule

HTH
J.Pietschmann