Re: [xsl] Question of performance

Subject: Re: [xsl] Question of performance
From: "Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 15:41:23 -0500
The xslt processor might have to go back and forth within the xml document,
so any approach except having it all in memory would be very tricky.  Like
sorting a very large file that can't be sorted all in memory, it could be
done, but the xslt processors aren't at that point yet.

Perhaps you can preprocess your xml file into smaller pieces, then combine
the results afterwards.

Cheers,

Tom P

[Jay Kline]

> I have a fairly large (41 KB) xsl document that is of course used for
> processing xml documents.

Along the same lines, I have a really big (200Mb+) XML document that needs
be parsed by a small (10 or so lines) XSL document on a Windows machine.  I
have tried the Microsoft COM object in some VBScript, but it seems to want
load the entire XML document into memory, and if much of anything else is
running on the system it more or less pukes, and at the very least takes
several minutes just loading the document before any processing begins.  Is
there a better way of doing this? Java is not installed on the system,
though
we are not opposed to doing so if there is better performance.