Re: [xsl] Re: PHP integration with XSLT

Subject: Re: [xsl] Re: PHP integration with XSLT
From: Alessio Mazzieri <mazzieri@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 10:54:15 +0100
Hi dfour.
I appreciate your hint, I've solved the problem using a system a little bit different from yours, but equally functional!
Simply, I've made a PHP script (named, for example, OKFORALL.PHP), that read it's script name (in this case OKFORALL).
Then, with a simple httpClient function, the script sends and HTTP request to OKFORALL.XML, storing the response into a file named
OKFORALL.TMP.PHP. Obviously, the HTTP request send to the servlet engine (Tomcat with Cocoon in my case) is interpreted by the XSL transformator and produce a valid PHP file. At last, the script redirect to OKFORALL.TMP.PHP, and the web server run this as a PHP file.

I think that this method, similar to yours, is an example of bad IT programming style. The reasons is: 1st) I must call a PHP file instead of an XML file to run the PHP output produced by the XSL (isn't it an horrible programming style?); 2nd) the entire process is definitely too slow, and I can't use it on a production server!

access from a php script the xml file (including the xslt stylesheet declaration to transform it) thru an http fopen():
$fp = fopen("http://yourserverpath/yourfile.xml";, "r");
read it :
while(!feof($fp)) $content .= fgets($fp, 1024);
1024 is an arbitrary buffer size (NB: you can't use sizeof("yourfile.xml") with a remote access)
save it as a php file :
$fp = fopen("yourtransformedfile.php", "w");
fwrite($fp);
fclose($fp);
and load that file :
header("Location: http://yourserverpath/yourtransformedfile.php";);

Thanks for all, but I want a simply method to: 1) request an XML file; 2) transforming it with the related XSL document (server side by Cocoon) that produce a valid PHP file; 3) make it processed from Apache to execute the PHP script.

Isn't it simple? :)

Alessio Mazzieri