Re: [xsl] xslt on server-side vs. client-side

Subject: Re: [xsl] xslt on server-side vs. client-side
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 16:24:05 GMT
The thread so far has mainly assumed that only the transformed version
is needed, and so it's just a matter of which end the transform happens,
but often it is useful to have the original XMl source.

If the source is MathMl (being an example close to my heart) which will
render on the client using a transform, or be pushed from that client to
say a comoputer algebra system and evaluated, then sending the client
XML is a lot more useful than sending some transformed version which
might just be html + images.  If the browser cab't handle the XML then
sending it some down translated version might be the best you can do but
you the client is getting second hand material in that case.

In some situations of course that's what you want to happen. I the
source is your entire company database, and the transform is
"42" then sending 42 might be preferable.

David