[xsl] xsl:strip-space does not work?

Subject: [xsl] xsl:strip-space does not work?
From: Mark Nahabedian <naha@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 18:24:21 -0500
Nisheet Verma writes:
 > I am using a  xml file which looks like, the following ( I have removed
 > insignificant text to improve readability)
 >
 > ?xml version="1.0"?>
 > <Catalog id="C31">
 > <object uri="http://developler.com/classdef;132";>
 > 	<property uri="http://developer.com/propertyType;193";>
 > 		1698.0||
 > 	</property
 > </object>
 > </Catalog>
 >
 > I want to parse it using the following XSL
 >
 > <?xml version="1.0" ?>
 > <!-- Passes a node set from one template to another -->
 > <xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";
 >     version="1.0">
 >     <xsl:strip-space elements="*" />
 >     <xsl:output method="xml" indent="yes" />
 > 	<xsl:template match="object" >
 > 	        <PRODUCT_ITEM >
 >             	<PRICE>
 > 	                <xsl:value-of select="property/@uri"/>
 >             	</PRICE>
 > 	</xsl:template>
 > </xsl:stylesheet>
 >
 > The out put looks like this
 >
 > <PRODUCT_ITEM>
 > <PRICE>
 > 		1698.0||
 > 	</PRICE>
 > </PRODUCT_ITEM>
 >
 > I don't know why xsl:strip does not strip out the whitespaces around PRICE
 > tag.  I can use normalize-space() to make it work but that would be a hack.
 > I guess, xsl:strip=space should work, or am I using it incorrectly?

>From what I read in "XSLT Programmer's Reference" strip-space only
eliminates text nodes that consist entirely of whitespace, so it won't
have any affect on your "property" node which also has some digits, a
period ans two vertical bars in it as well as the whitespace.

I think you want to change your template to

 	<xsl:template match="object" >
 	        <PRODUCT_ITEM >
             	<PRICE>
 	                <xsl:value-of select="normalize-space(property/@uri)"/>
             	</PRICE>
 	</xsl:template>

which uses the normalize-space function to remove leading and trailing
whitespace from the attribute value.