Re: [xsl] big recursive function

Subject: Re: [xsl] big recursive function
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 12:44:28 GMT
> I haven't found a good way yet to implement the recursivity check
> needed to avoid exploding the stack of an application in case a stylesheet
> loops on a recursion and not trigggering false alert in case which are
> by nature extremely recursive like your example. I would appreciate
> suggestions on this ...

but a string replace recursion ought to be able to be written in a tail
recursive way, and so you ought to be able to avoid using up the stack at
all (perhaps?)

>   I haven't seen yet different way to process characters inside a node
> text (except making an extension function but it's cheating :-). It looks
> like the right way to do things from an XSLT point of view.

using a divide and conquer method (see posts of dimitre's) should change
the recursion depth from being O(n) to O(log n) (at the cost of giving
up tail recursion) so on a system that doesn't implement tail recursion
elimination this should be better (and may well be faster anyway).

David