[xsl] Re: Re: Re: Assignment no, dynamic scoping si (was: Re: RE: Wishes for XSL revisions ...

Subject: [xsl] Re: Re: Re: Assignment no, dynamic scoping si (was: Re: RE: Wishes for XSL revisions ...
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 00:08:59 -0800 (PST)
Gunther Schadow <gunther at aurora dot regenstrief dot org> wrote:

> > Actually, until now you haven't been

> > able to provide a single example, where such added value is

> > apparent.
>
> You have been given three forms of this use case plus reference
> to the literature (implicit parameter paper). But so far you're
> approach to the argument has been to reduce everything that does
> not support your point of view to it's nearest convenient flaw to
> shrug it off. You did that with what I said, what Terje said,
> you even did it with the implicit parameter paper. It's not
> exactly a gratifying experience to discuss with you.

 I haven't been discussing and supporting "my" point of view. The facts that better
solution exist to the presented use-cases have been also produced by David Carlisle
(about the use of a global variable) and by Wendell Piez (about the use of simple
local variable instead of an "implicit parameter").

Mike Kay also pointed out the fact, that were the decision taken to support
higher-order functions in XPath, this would be "probably a cleaner solution to your
requirements than the one you propose".

In fact all the time I have been trying to help you produce a really good and
convincing example of the advantages of using dynamic scoping and implicit
parameters. In vain until now...

I'm not responding to the general sketch of an example in your message, because this
is not a specific example.

> Am I ad
> hominem? Frustrated, yes, may be I should pause a bit.

 To pause a bit and try to find a good example supporting your proposal -- this is a
good idea. Until now your use-cases, one after the other show just insufficient or
lack of such support.

> I moved
> this to xsl-editors anyway, and the response I got so far is not
> as frustrating. Interestingly I learned that the dynamic scope
> issue had never come up in the past, so it isn't pre-decided
> in any way.

No proposal to the editors should be pre-decided. Good luck!

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev.