Re: Regular expression functions (Was: Re: [xsl] comments on December F&O draft)

Subject: Re: Regular expression functions (Was: Re: [xsl] comments on December F&O draft)
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 09:20:04 GMT

> the xslt regex functions as I understand it kinda need to work on XML input
> files that are 'not structured enough???' meaning you're searching for
> pattterns on text only inside the boundaries of parent nodes, right?

well yes and no. That will be one use but xslt is adding a version of the
document() command for grabbing external text files as a string so
you could do that and then apply regexp matching to the whole lot.

> ... answers on the matching orders

Thanks for the clarifications.

> (Steven's posting made me a greenhorn member of this list :-))
welcome to the club:-)

>  but pretty soon came down to 'we're not going to rewrite xsl.'

good plan! (But I don't think it's one that will work as a basis for
specifying XSLT 2:-)

David