Re: [xsl] use cases for d-o-e

Subject: Re: [xsl] use cases for d-o-e
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 22:41:25 GMT
> I'm curious why the XML infoset didn't provide for unexpanded entity
> references.

well XML doesn't have SDATA entities so really it doesn't have any
support for unexpanded entities. An entity reference in a document
without a doctype is a fatal error (that's also why schema doesn't allow
the definition of entities). If youhave an entity ref and a DTD with an
external subset that doesn't define the DTD that's only a validity error
not a fatal well formedness error (on the grounds that a non validating
parser might not read the dtd and so know the enity wasn't defined).

so

> I'm curious why the XML infoset didn't provide for unexpanded entity
> references.  Aside from being parsed and serialized, the only other
> operation they'd need to support is name().

isn't really true. If XSLT wanted to try to ensure output was well formed
XML it would have to have a better model of DTD and dcotype information
than it currently has if it wanted to output entity refs.

David.