RE: Regular expression functions (Was: Re: [xsl] comments on December F&O draft)

Subject: RE: Regular expression functions (Was: Re: [xsl] comments on December F&O draft)
From: "Marc Portier" <mpo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 08:45:06 +0100
Hi all,

just realised this flaw in my own thought-train:

> oh and by the way, I started of this :subregex: notation, based on bad
> memory of long-past perl days
> just opened some doc again, and understand now that it used to be the
> [:name:] notation for the posix characters... with added possible
> stuff like
> [:^name:] and the like
>
> revoking my own introduction: maybe $name makes more sense in any
> case?  and
> a nicer fit to the $keyword example Jeni gave.
> (not to mention we wouldn't need <regex> but could just reuse
> <xsl:parameter>

euh... still inviting anyone to comment on the :name: notation
but the $keyword in combination with <xsl:param> probably isn't a good way
of taking up both keyword and named regex handling...

current feeling is that *if* the $keyword would contain parentheses then
they should be considered to be matched literally (more as \( and \) that
is)

having nested named regexes is a very different thing, which calls for a
different notation

still there remains the question about how perl does it (more general: what
would be logical to regex environments without breaking the xslt environment
(or vice versa))

regards,
-marc=