[xsl] outputting a mixture of escaped and unescaped HTML.

Subject: [xsl] outputting a mixture of escaped and unescaped HTML.
From: Dean Missikowski <dean_missikowski@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 18:51:34 -0800 (PST)
Hello All,

I need to process some xml with attribute values that
may contain markup text like this:

<MEMO TEXT="Example:&lt;span
class=&apos;cs1&apos;&gt;...&lt;/span&gt;$crThis is a
new line..."/>

The original data value of the attribute comes from a
database in which CRLFs were replaced with the string
$cr.

I need to transform this into HTML that looks
something like this:

class=&apos;cs1&apos;&gt;...&lt;/span&gt;</br>This is
a new line...</div>

The problem I'm having is if I use something like:

<xsl:template match="MEMO">
  <xsl:value-of
select="foo:FormatMultiline(string(@TEXT))"
disable-output-escaping="yes"/>
</xsl:template>

where foo:FormatMultiline() replaces $cr with </br>.

However, this results in all the escaped markup to
become "unescaped" when I want it to remain escaped
except for the <br/>.

Can anybody help?
Thanks