RE: [xsl] RE:read-write same url in xslt 2 [was appendig to multiple output files]

Subject: RE: [xsl] RE:read-write same url in xslt 2 [was appendig to multiple output files]
From: "Michael Kay" <michael.h.kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 11:42:16 -0000
> I don't see why allowing an output URI to be the same as an
> input URI should
> have to change the simple rule that source trees cannot change (or be
> writable). In practice, the result of the transformation
> could be used to
> replace the original file but only after the transformation
> is complete. I
> don't think Bryan was suggesting that side-effects should be
> allowed. This
> shouldn't be an error, IMHO.

Yes, that's another way we could resolve the issue. It would also deal with
the problem of a transformation failing after writing a secondary result
document.

Saxon currently commits a secondary result document to disk when the
<xsl:result-document/> instruction completes execution, and I suspect Bryan
was indeed exploiting this fact.

Mike Kay