RE: [xsl] Rendering XML Server Side without using ASP

Subject: RE: [xsl] Rendering XML Server Side without using ASP
From: "Chris Bayes" <chris@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 11:42:53 -0000
> Brian,
>
> You can't perform transformations serverside using javascript, it is a
> clientside language.

No it isn't. You can use JavaScript or even perl in asp. You can use
either as a cgi. I guess as Javascript can be wrapped into a com object
or scriptlet it should be possible to use it as an isapi filter or
extension but if you are going to do that you might as well use
asp/JavaScript.

http://www.bayes.co.uk/xml/index.xml?/xml/utils/instalmsxml.xml

> Also, (as I
> understand it)
> Netscape 6 supports the xml standards, so you should have
> most of the market
> covered if you choose to go with clientside transforms.

Almost but not quite. It doesn't handle doctype declarations yet and is
still a bit buggy.

> My
> site used to do
> this, but I found it too slow to send the XML and various
> stylesheets to the
> client each time, so I went for complete serverside.

You must have had some strange xml and stylesheets. It is not always the
case but more often than not that if your xml and xsl is designed
properly there will be less data on the wire if you send xml and xsl to
the client for transformation rather than sending the transformed html.

Ciao Chris

XML/XSL Portal
http://www.bayes.co.uk/xml