Re: [xsl] further question on creating an id

Subject: Re: [xsl] further question on creating an id
From: naha@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 16:46:52 -0500 (EST)
Your example document isn't well-formed XML.

**** missing a close tag for <male>
**** there was no open tag for <technic>

> </technic>
>
> <female>
> <person>
>     <name>
>       <first_name>Shelia</first_name>
>       <middle_initial>M</middle_initial>
>       <last_name>Feynman</last_name>
>     </name>
>     <profession>mathematican</profession>
>     <hobby>Jogging</hobby>
>   </person>
> </female>
> </people>
>
> my question is, i wish to transform it into a html format, is it
> possible
> to add an id to all the profession? will i be able to have the same id
> for
> identical profession? (e.g profession for mathematican will be the same
>
> regardless whether it is in the male element or female element)if no, is
>
> there a way to get round the problem?

Is there any reason why you can't use the name of the profession as the id?

You could use a key which maped the name of a profession to the result
of doing generate-id() on the first profession element with that content.
I don't have my copy of Mike Kay's book handy so I can't provide the right
code for you now.  It should be easy enough to figure out though.  Read
about the XSLT "key" element and the "key" function.