[xsl] String parsing, node creation

Subject: [xsl] String parsing, node creation
From: Michael Clark <MClark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 14:01:22 -0700
Hello, and thanks in advance for reading my question!

I'll jump right into the code, since it explains itself better than I can.

<!-- My source XML -->
<doc>
	<txt>
		This will be a fairly large block of text.
		Text block text block text block text block.
		It will go on for a while ... then stop.
	</txt>
</doc>

The problem I have now, is as follows: My <txt> nodes may only have #text
nodes of a certain, very short length (say, 38 characters).

So, after proper translation my xml document should look as follows:

<doc>
	<txt>This will be a 256 char block of text.</txt>
	<txt> Text block text block text block text</txt>
	<txt> block.  It will go on for a while ...</txt>
	<txt>then stop.</txt>
</doc>

The real hitch is the #text must be broken up by word blocks (words
tokenized by space (' '), not purely by character length.

I am using Xalan, so I thought I might do this rather tedious bit
of parsing directly on the DOM tree in Java -- but I would
really prefer to have all my conversion contained within my XSL.

Sorry that I don't have an XSL base to start from, I have no idea where to
start.

There seem to be some very bright and XSL fluent minds on this list, I am
constantly amazed at the complexity of the XSLT that goes on here on the
list!
Thanks

Michael
Research and Development