RE: [xsl] Understanding Conditionality of Borders

Subject: RE: [xsl] Understanding Conditionality of Borders
From: DPawson@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 15:10:33 -0000
the real killer is when you want space-before (or border before)
when this area is the first one (e.g. of a page.)
the rules then mean it gets lost unless you either specify
retain or dump out an empty block prior to it.
the other one is the melding of space between two blocks,
the larger taking precedence (unless otherwise specified).

have fun Eliot.

regards DaveP

> "The border or padding at the before-edge or after-edge of a
> block-area
> B may be specified as conditional. If so, then it is set to
> zero if its
> associated edge is a leading edge in a reference-area, and
> the is-first
> trait of B is false, or if its associated edge is a trailing edge in a
> reference-area, and the is-last trait of B is false. In
> either of these
> cases, the border or padding is taken to be zero for purposes of the
> stacking constraint definitions."
>
> It isn't explicit, but given my experience with how
> border-width.conditionality="retain" works with XSL Formatter, my
> interpretation of the above is that when .conditionality="retain", it
> means that if a block spans two areas (e.g., spans a page), then, for
> example, the border-after border for that block is "retained" in the
> block for which is-last is false (that is, the occurrence before the
> page break). The default for conditionality is "discard".
>
> Is this understanding correct?
>
> Given that I probably never would have figured this out on my own had
> the folks at Antenna House not put me on to
> border-width.conditionality,
> I would urge the writers of XSL tutorials to include a discussion of
> this important but subtle aspect of XSL-FO.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eliot
> --
> W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@xxxxxxxxxx
> Consultant, ISOGEN International
>
> 1016 La Posada Dr., Suite 240
> Austin, TX  78752 Phone: 512.656.4139

-

confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use,
disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's content. If
immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your
system.

RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any
attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. However, it
cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are
transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

represent those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk

14th June 2002 is RNIB Look Loud Day - visit http://www.lookloud.org.uk to