[xsl] Sorting XML with XSL, output as XML

Subject: [xsl] Sorting XML with XSL, output as XML
From: Ernst Wolthaus <ernst.wolthaus@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 19:55:33 +0200
Hi all,

I'm new it this so I hope I'm posting this message the right way.
Anyway...

I've got a HTML-pager with a table, with a data island, so the XML data
is bounded in the table by Datafld and Datasrc. Now I want to sort the
XML-data by an XSL-file and a XSL:SORT command. However, this needs to
be generic so I can use the same XSL for all kinds of XML, because else
I have to make a XSL for every XML.

Example:
	<?xml version="1.0"?>
	<book>
	<chapter>
	<number>2</number>
	<title>two</title>
	<paragraph>text 2</paragraph>
	</chapter>
	<chapter>
	<number>1</number>
	<title>one</title>
	<paragraph>text 1</paragraph>
	</chapter>
	</book>

How do I sort this data by e.g. Number or by Title in a generic way. It's
needs to output the "same" XML but sorted like:

	<?xml version="1.0"?>
	<book>
	<chapter>
	<number>1</number>
	<title>one</title>
	<paragraph>text 1</paragraph>
	</chapter>
	<chapter>
	<number>2</number>
	<title>two</title>
	<paragraph>text 2</paragraph>
	</chapter>
	</book>

I know how to sort with xsl:param and <xsl:sort
select="@*[name()=$sortfield]" order="{$sortorder}" /> but how do I get
the XML back like the XML described above...???

I've spend a lot of this on this so I would greatly appreciate any
help!!

Thanks,
Ernst Wolthaus