Re: [xsl] Identifying two tags that share some attribute names and values

Subject: Re: [xsl] Identifying two tags that share some attribute names and values
From: Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heinicke@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 20:17:05 +0200
> I apologize for this, but it looks like I slightly misstated the
> problem. I tested your solution and it looks like exactly what I'm
> looking for, with one difference: it is not <a> that contains the
> superset of attributes, with <b> containing a subset. It's actually
> <b> that contains the superset, and <a> contains the subset.
>
> This variation seems to work for me:
>
> <xsl:variable name="file2" select="document('2.xml')/outsidedata"/>
> <xsl:template match="a">
> <xsl:variable name="a" select="." />
> <xsl:for-each select="$file2/b[@* = $a/@*]">
> <xsl:variable name="b" select="." />
> <xsl:variable name="test">
> <xsl:for-each select="$a/@*">
> <xsl:if test="not($b/@*[name() = name(current())] = .)">
> no attribute with the same name on element b whose value equals this one
> </xsl:if>
> </xsl:for-each>
> </xsl:variable>
> <xsl:if test="not(string($test))">
> [<xsl:value-of select="."/>]
> </xsl:if>
> </xsl:for-each>
> </xsl:template>

Hi Zack,

I don't understand why Jeni's solution should be wrong. With your sentence

and the second file

<outsidedata>
  <b x="1" y="2">PPP</b>
  <b y="2" z="3">QQQ</b>
  <b z="3">RRR</b>
  <b x="9" z="7">SSS</b>
  <b m="2" z="3">TTT</b>
</outsidedata>

I get the output

"The quick brown [PPP][QQQ][RRR] jumps over the lazy [SSS]."

This is exactly what I expect after reading your first posting again. With your stylesheet I get

"The quick brown jumps over the lazy ."

And my comments/questions to Jeni's stylesheet:

>><xsl:template match="a">
>>  <xsl:variable name="a" select="." />
<xsl:for-each select="$file2/b[@* = $a/@*]">

I thought of a filter too, but I didn't find a sensible one. The above one isn't completely logical to me. What exactly does it mean? Maybe "all <b>s, whose all attributes are in <a> and don't have a different value"?

   <xsl:variable name="test">
     <xsl:for-each select="@*">
       <xsl:if test="not($a/@*[name() = name(current())] = .)">

This is a little bit easier ;-)

         no attribute with the same name on element a whose value
         equals this one
       </xsl:if>
     </xsl:for-each>
   </xsl:variable>
   <xsl:if test="not(string($test))">

This is easier again. Of course a test on "contains($test, 'false')" is not necessary.

     <xsl:text />[<xsl:value-of select="." />]<xsl:text />
   </xsl:if>
 </xsl:for-each>
</xsl:template>

Joerg