[xsl] Strange Parameter Behavior

Subject: [xsl] Strange Parameter Behavior
From: "Michael Peet" <mjpeet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 17:01:41 -0400
Given the XML:

<a id="1">
 <b id="2">
   <c id="3"/>
   <c id="4"/>
   <c id="5"/>
   <c id="6"/>
 </b>
 <b id="7">
   <c id="8"/>
   <c id="9"/>
   <c id="10"/>
 </b>
 <b id="11">
   <c id="12"/>
   <c id="13"/>
   <c id="14"/>
 </b>
</a>

And XSLT of:

 <xsl:output encoding="ascii" omit-xml-declaration="yes" indent="yes"/>
 <xsl:strip-space elements="*"/>

<xsl:param name="param-id" select="/a/b/c[1]/@id"/>

<xsl:template match="/">
param-id: <xsl:value-of select="$param-id"/><br/>
prev: <xsl:value-of select="//c[@id = $param-id]/preceding::c[1]/@id"/><br/>
next: <xsl:value-of select="//c[@id = $param-id]/following::c[1]/@id"/><br/>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

I get the following expected results when passing in a parameter:

param-id: 12
prev: 10
next: 13

However, when I don't pass anything in and let the default parameter take over, I get this output:

param-id: 3
prev: 6
next: 4

Could anyone explain this? Is there a RTF at work here? When I wrap the default parameter value with a string() function, the stylesheet returns the expected results:

param-id: 3
prev:
next: 4

Is that the "correct" solution? More importantly, does anyone know why case 2 produces those results? It evaluates 'next' correctly, but why is 'prev' so far off?

Thanks in advance!

Mike