RE: [xsl] How namespaces are unique???

Subject: RE: [xsl] How namespaces are unique???
From: "Macaulay,Malcolm (US)" <Malcolm.Macaulay2@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 07:46:24 -0500
Dennis,

I'm not a namespaces expert but I'll give you my understanding and hopefully someone will correct me if I have it wrong..

There is no problem with the situations you have.

xmlns:calp="http://url1.com/meta/calp";
and
xmlns:calp-"http://url2.com/bit/calbit";
are unique namespaces. The "calp" prefix is simply the local abbreviation used by the authors in their documents. It is just a shorthand for the url. The only problem you have is that your XSLT is acting on the two documents where the authors have used the same prefix. No problem - just assign new (unique) prefixes for use in your XSLT. e,g:

<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:MyCalpPrefix="http://url1.com/meta/calp"; xmlns:MyCalbitPrefix="http://url2.com/bit/calbit"; ...../>

and the write XPaths to get the elements you want, e.g:

<xsl:value-of select='../MyCalpPrefix:Element'/> would get from calp:Element of the 'Calp' doc
<xsl:value-of select='../MyCalbitPrefix:Element'/> would get from calp:Element of the 'Calbit' doc

Hope that helps

cheers

Malcolm