Re: [xsl] encoding issues

Subject: Re: [xsl] encoding issues
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 11:23:51 +0100
> When I view the output in IE, I see the modified A (whats it really
> called?).

Oh so that's a sign that the output is in utf-8. Try manually selecting
utf8 in teh browser and see what happens. As to why auto-select isn't
detecting that, I don't know.

> btw, if I can pick your brains sort-of off topic, in which situation
> would you choose to use utf-8 over utf-16?

I'd always choose utf-8 over utf-16 because I'm an English speaking
luddite. utf-8 is designed to make things simple for users whose
character set is predominantly ascii based, and whose tools are designed
to work with 8 bit encodings. utf-16 is designed to make things simple
for tools that are basically aimed at 16bit encodings. (So java is
happiest internally with utf16 but as a user I'd rather see the output
in utf8 so mostly it makes sense if I look at it in a latin1 (or ascii)
based terminal.

Internal Microsoft strings are (I understand) same as java ones
essentially 16bit so if you ask msxsl to output to a string rather than
to a file then it necessarily ignores whatever output encoding you ask
for and uses utf16 (It is explictly allowed to do this according to the
xslt spec).

So if I ever think I'll need to look out the output markup I'd try to
get it in utf-8 or iso-8859-1 but if it is just an internal
transformation going to some other process in the pipeline, let the
processor pick whatever is most convenient for its use (which is likely
to be utf-16)

David