[xsl] Data or Template Driven?

Subject: [xsl] Data or Template Driven?
From: "Scott Purcell" <spurcell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 10:19:25 -0500
Hello,
I have done quite a bit of reading and I have noticed that there are two ways to transform xml. Data or Template. Where template uses the <select template>, and the data uses things like <xsl:for-each....>

I am working on my first real challenge and I am trying to produce html (using xalan when done) which will produce html. In my xml I am showing text, textareas, hiddens, etc. So my xml has <item_type>text</item_type>(textfield), and so on. I included a small snippet below.

How does one determine which direction to take when starting down this road? As usual, there may be times I have to skip a certain block if lets say the label is blank.

Thanks for any input or direction.
Scott

<?xml version='1.0'?>
<?xml:stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="newform.xsl" ?>

<ad>
    <ad_content>
        <label>Headline</label>
        <item_type>text</item_type>
        <char_count>50</char_count>
        <item_name>Headline</item_name>
        <contents><![CDATA[test]]></contents>
    </ad_content>

    <ad_content>
        <label>Body Copy</label>
        <item_type>textarea</item_type>
        <char_count>200</char_count>
        <item_name>Body Copy</item_name>
        <contents><![CDATA[Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party.]]></contents>
    </ad_content>

    <ad_content>
        <label>Primary Image</label>
        <item_type>picture</item_type>
        <char_count />
        <item_name>Primary Image</item_name>
        <contents />
     </ad_content>

    <ad_content>
        <label>Dealership Name</label>
        <item_type>text</item_type>
        <char_count>20</char_count>
        <item_name>Dealership Name</item_name>
        <contents><![CDATA[Our Place]]></contents>
    </ad_content>

    <ad_content>
        <label>Date and Time of Event</label>
        <item_type>text</item_type>
        <char_count>30</char_count>
        <item_name>Date and Time of Event</item_name>
        <contents><![CDATA[July 15, 2002]]</contents>
    </ad_content>

    <ad_content>
        <label>Additional Info</label>
        <item_type>text</item_type>
        <char_count>30</char_count>
        <item_name>Additional Info</item_name>
        <contents><![CDATA[none]]></contents>
    </ad_content>

    <ad_content>
        <label>Logo</label>
        <item_type>logos</item_type>
        <char_count />
        <item_name>Logo</item_name>
        <contents />
    </ad_content>
</ad>

Scott Purcell | Developer | VERTIS | 555 Washington Ave. 4th Floor | St. Louis, MO 63101 |
T 314.588.0720 | F 314.588.0735 | spurcell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx | http://www.vertisinc.com

Vertis is a global powerhouse for integrated marketing and advertising solutions that seamlessly combine advertising, direct marketing, media, imaging and progressive technology. Vertis' products and services include: consumer and media research, media planning and placement, creative services, digital media production, targetable insert programs, fully integrated direct marketing programs, circulation-building newspaper products and eMarketing.