Re: [xsl] fo:inline vs. fo:wrapper

Subject: Re: [xsl] fo:inline vs. fo:wrapper
From: "J.Pietschmann" <j3322ptm@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2002 01:46:39 +0200
Wendell Piez wrote:
I'm wondering about (what may be) a fine point of FO semantics.

Is there something about fo:inline that prevents them from breaking across lines?

No. Inlines can flow across several lines.

I'm prepared to use fo:wrapper to instigate momentary changes, say, into an italic face -- but had supposed fo:inline was the right way.

The difference between fo:inline and fo:wrapper is that the wrapper only holds inheritable properties for the areas within, while the fo:inline generates areas. This means a fo:inline can have a border, background, space-start and space-end and padding and a few other bits, while a fo:wrapper cannot. If you just want to change the font-style to italic, it doesn't matter whether you use fo:wrapper or fo:inline. The latter is more commonly used though.

J.Pietschmann