Re: [xsl] Creating nodes for the source versus the results tree.

Subject: Re: [xsl] Creating nodes for the source versus the results tree.
From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 19:58:46 +0100
Hi Ed,

> I know this is something I could do in a two pass process: during
> pass1 process of the original/source XML to create the
> intermediate/temporary XML elements, during pass2 process both the
> original XML and generated XML elements to create the final output.
> I'd rather do this in a single pass; is this possible?

Only using an extension function. You can store the result of the
first pass in a variable, but it's stored as a result tree fragment,
which means that you can't go on to process it further without turning
it into a node set. You can turn it into a node set with extension
functions; most processors have them...

> Two other notes/constraints: (1) I'm using the XalanC++ processor,

... and in Xalan-C++ it's called nodeset(), in the namespace
http://xml.apache.org/xalan. So do something like:

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
                xmlns:xalan="http://xml.apache.org/xalan";
                extension-element-prefixes="xalan">

<xsl:template match="/">
  <xsl:variable name="pass1-rtf">
    <xsl:apply-templates mode="pass1" />
  </xsl:variable>
  <xsl:apply-templates select="xalan:nodeset($pass1-rtf)"
                       mode="pass2" />

</xsl:stylesheet>

with templates in 'pass1' mode for your first pass and in 'pass2' mode
for your second pass.

Cheers,

Jeni

---