Re: [xsl] grouping after filtering plus a little more...

Subject: Re: [xsl] grouping after filtering plus a little more...
From: Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heinicke@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 23:21:58 +0200
Hello Kit,

it's very difficult to follow your explanations. And because nobody answers your mails, I think, I'm not the only one who has problems with them.

The problem with
<xsl:apply-template select="book[author='author2']][generate-id() = generate-id(key('books', type))]"/>

I see is, that your author element consists of a name element and a gender element, so in the above the first predicate has to be [author/name='author2'].

But it's not possible that you get the same results like before, you should get no results, because no book matches the predicate until now.

If this does not solve your problem, try to be more specific in your problem description. Often it helps to give a part of the XML (like you did it) and the XSL (not only one <xsl:apply-templates/>).

Using the preceding(-sibling)-axis is only another (less efficient) way of grouping and should not solve your problems.

Regards,

Joerg

? ?? wrote:
Hi joerg,
thanks for your reply. I have try the solution you've provided however, it seems to give me the same results as before (i.e. some data can not be display)... i had a look at the source file, it did not displays some result because the processor (i am using xalan-c 1.3) already spotted the data beforehand. (actually i had just spotted a mistake in my example ... i was suppose to group the type only, given that author='author2'. So my key should be <xsl:key name="books" match="book" use="type"/>
)

in my example ...
<book>
<author>
<name>author1</name>
<gender>m</gender>
</author>
<name>x box</name>
<type>sc-fi</type>
</book>
<book>
<author>
<name>author2</name>
<gender>f</gender>
<type>adventure</type>
</book>
<book>
<author>
<name>author1</name>
<gender>m</gender>
</author>
<name>the return of Dr who</name>
<type>sc-fi</type>
</book>
<book>
<author>
<name>author2</name>
<gender>f</gender>
</author>
<name>something2</name>
<type>sc-fi</type>
</book>

say i was looking for all the type of books written by aurthor2, using the following call the processor will skip the type which it sees before (e.g. sc-fi will not be shown as it already appears previously for author1)

<xsl:apply-template select="book[author='author2']][generate-id() = generate-id(key('books', type))]"/>

therefore i was wondering is there a way to overcome this? (as you suggested) i though by filtering the data first before using the mucheun method (via multiple predicate) could solve the problem, however, it seems it doesn't like. please could you give me some advise over this?

furthermore, i was wondering it is possible to use preceding-silbing axis whilst it requires to match more than one element? for example using keys you can do this:
<xsl:key name="books" match="book" use="concat(author/name, '::', author/gender)"/>
and grouping via <xsl:apply-template select="book[generate-id() = generate-id(key('books', concat(author/name, '::', author/gender)))]"/>

however using preceding axis algorithum

<xsl:for-each select="/book[not(concat(author/name, '::', author/gender)=preceding-sibling::book/???
i am lost at that point....

please help

Many thanks

Regards Kit