Re: [xsl] including files

Subject: Re: [xsl] including files
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 12:09:08 -0600 (MDT)
I wrote:
> I think you're on the right track. I would use document() but instead of
> pointing directly to the file, point to a URI that, when resolved, will
> deliver a well-formed document. You usually have the option of customizing the
> URI resolver (see JAXP's javax.xml.transform.UriResolver interface, and
> setUriResolver() on the Transformer or TransformerFactory) so that it delivers
> whatever you need.
>
> For example, for document('urn:nate-frag.xhtml'), your URI resolver
> could look for 'urn:nate-' and then know that it needs to return
> something like
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
> <!DOCTYPE wrapper [ <!ENTITY content SYSTEM "frag.xhtml"> ]>
> <wrapper>&content;</wrapper>

I kind of wish I could find a better example. We all allude to the 'custom
URIResolver' approach, but we never provide any code samples :)

Anyway I wanted to add that the concept of 'resolving' a URI in some places
means just merging a given relative or absolute URI with an absolute base,
producing just a new URI string. And sometimes, it is assumed to mean that you
not only merge the two strings, but you also return a representation of the
identified resource. The JAXP URIResolver does this, returning a Source
implementation (DOMSource, SAXSource, or StreamSource, usually).

I decided about 9 months ago that I like Python a whole lot better than Java,
so someone else will have to post an example!

   - Mike