Re: [xsl] XPath iteration?

Subject: Re: [xsl] XPath iteration?
From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 09:25:57 +0100
Hi Derek,

> I'm sorry if this question is inappropriate here, but I haven't
> found a more appropriate place to ask, nor have I found a FAQ that
> addresses my question.

Don't worry; this is a good place to ask your question.

> I'm trying to come up with an XPath expression that will "iterate".
> What I have in mind is something to the effect of:
>
>       /Root/SomeNode[position()!=position(/Root/SomeNode)]
>
> which would compare each SomeNode against all other SomeNode's
> except itself (there are multiple SomeNode children of /Root).

Given that all the SomeNode elements are siblings of each other, you
can collect together the other SomeNodes into a node set with:

  preceding-sibling::SomeNode | following-sibling::SomeNode

I don't know what you want to do with them, though -- perhaps you
could describe what you actually want to get from the XPath?

Cheers,

Jeni

---
Jeni Tennison