Re: [xsl] Grouping problem

Subject: Re: [xsl] Grouping problem
From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 15:37:01 +0100
Hi Mario,

> However I encounter another problem. To apply this
> solution I would need to dynamically set up the xsl:key.
> I.e. would need to specify something like:
>
> <xsl:key name="PropArrays"
>          match="PROPERTY.ARRAY[@NAME=$displayProperty]"
>          use="VALUE.ARRAY/VALUE[last()-$offset]" />
>
> This presents in fact two problems:
> 1. msxml3 (imposed) complains that
>    "Variables may not be used within this expression"
>    (but Saxon 6.0.2 does not, and behaves as expected
>     at least for the first variable).
> 2. The $offset variable would need to be set from
>    something in the xml data. How can I read some XML
>    data, set the variable and use it to set up the key?

Saxon 6.0.2 had a bug, then (update to 6.5.2). You can't use variables
in the match or use attributes of xsl:key, so you need to find another
way of doing this.

You say that $offset is calculated based on the XML data. If so, then
you can calculate it inside the use attribute rather than in a
separate variable (though it might get messy!). I don't know how
you're setting it, but say it was the 'offset' attribute on the
document element; then you could use:

  use="VALUE.ARRAY/VALUE[last() - /*/@offset]"

Then, rather than using the $displayProperty variable in the match
attribute, make the key match all PROPERTY.ARRAY elements but when you
*use* the key, add a predicate that excludes those PROPERTY.ARRAY
elements whose @NAME doesn't equal the $displayProperty. For example,
use:

  <xsl:apply-templates
    select="PROPERTY.ARRAY[@SIZE = 1 and
                           @NAME = $displayProperty]" />

and then, in the template, set the parameter with:

  <xsl:param name="others"
    select="key('PropArrays', VALUE.ARRAY/VALUE[last() - $offset])
              [@NAME = $displayProperty]" />

Cheers,

Jeni

---