[xsl] ANN: Character dump utility for XSL-FO (XSL-List)

Subject: [xsl] ANN: Character dump utility for XSL-FO (XSL-List)
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 09:46:50 -0500
In my work with streams of bi-directional characters in a file, I found it awkward to confirm my test files had the correct Unicode characters for each test.

Recognizing the power of the character formatting in XSL-FO, I wrote a simple Python utility that dumps the character contents of a file, showing the glyph of the character and the character's hexadecimal Unicode code point. At this time abbreviations are shown for only a very few of the many Unicode characters that don't have glyphs, but the ones needed for bidirectionality are supported.

This utility creates an XSL-FO file ready for processing without using or needing to use XSLT. This demonstrates the use of XSL-FO strictly as a layout language for the output of a general-purpose text-processing utility.

It is available for free download ... follow the "Resource Library (free developer tools)" link from our home page noted below.

I hope this is found to be useful. Comments are more than welcome!

................... Ken

cc: XML-Dev, XSL-LIST, WWW-XSL-FO, Yahoo-XSL-FO

--
Upcoming hands-on in-depth XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO:
-                             North America:  Feb 3 - Feb 7,2003

G. Ken Holman               mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Crane Softwrights Ltd.        http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0  +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                     Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                             Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-10-1             Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Next conference training:                    2002-12-08,03-03,06