Re: [xsl] Page Break in XSLT?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Page Break in XSLT?
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 11:28:51 -0500
At 2002-11-19 11:05 -0500, Vic Gar wrote:
I'm trying to output control l. I'm told that our system will insert a page break when it sees these two (characters? keystrokes? thingies?).

CTRL-L is a short-form for the C0 character "FF" which is the one character whose hexadecimal value is 0x0c (decimal 12).

"FF" stands for "Form Feed" which ejects the page in the printer to start at a new page.

It is a hardware control character, recognized by some software reading raw text files.

How can I get my stylesheet to output control and the letter 'l'?

I don't understand how the output of your stylesheet is going directly to a device interpreting a FF, thus requiring this character.

This character *isn't* a valid XML character according to production [2] of XML 1.0, therefore there is no way to represent it as a character in an XML document and your stylesheet is an XML document.

I think you are out of luck for XSLT 1.0 as written.

However, XT has a custom output serialization method called "NXML" and I've documented the use of NXML in the free download preview of our XSLT/XPath book that you can obtain at no charge from the "Book Sales" link at the top of our home page noted below. Using XT and the NXML output method instead of the standard text output method you can encode any character value you wish. An example is below.

I hope this helps.

..................... Ken

T:\ftemp>type ff.xsl
<?xml version="1.0"?><!--ff.xsl-->
                xmlns:xt="http://www.jclark.com/xt";
                exclude-result-prefixes="xt"
                version="1.0">

<xsl:output method="xt:nxml"/>

<xsl:template match="/">
  <nxml><data>
    This is an FF:<char number="12"/>:End of test
  </data></nxml>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>
T:\ftemp>xt ff.xsl ff.xsl

This is an FF:?:End of test

T:\ftemp>

-- Upcoming hands-on in-depth XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO: - North America: Feb 3 - Feb 7,2003

G. Ken Holman               mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Crane Softwrights Ltd.        http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0  +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                     Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                             Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-10-1             Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Next conference training:                    2002-12-08,03-03,06