RE: [xsl] Limiting XSL Results for Timely Web Page Display

Subject: RE: [xsl] Limiting XSL Results for Timely Web Page Display
From: "Michael Kay" <michael.h.kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 09:03:20 -0000
I think a lot depends on the size of the XML file.

The simplest approach is to have a server-side transformation that takes
a stylesheet parameter indicating which 20 records to display.

If appropriate, you can then refine this by caching the XML document in
memory in application data or session data on the server (depending
whether it is used by multiple users concurrently, or a single user).

An alternative would be to generate all the HTML results in one
transformation and cache those. But that would be a lot of wasted effort
if users normally only look at the first couple of pages.

There is a lot to be said for doing this kind of thing client-side: send
the whole XML document to the browser, and do the transformations into
multiple HTML pages there. This offloads the work from the server and
improves response for users - unless the original XML file is very
large.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx