Re: [xsl] The beginning of xslt?

Subject: Re: [xsl] The beginning of xslt?
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 14:50:18 GMT
  The question that has always bothered me is whether or not the original
  intention of XSL:FO was to output to a variety of clients (including web
  browsers, mobile phones, etc.)and not just to print?

well some of teh prginal people lurk on thi slist, but I think teh
answer must be yes.

  ....And that
  perhaps it was just a question of waiting for the browser/software
  vendors to build clients that could read formatting objects?

it's not clear to me whether there is a real difference in principle
between "a browser that could read FO" and
"a client side pipeline that reads FO, produces PDF and browses the PDF"
whether the internal rendering model is FO or HTML/CSS or PDF, is just
an internal implementation issue isn't it, if FO goes in one end and
something visual and hyperlinked comes out the other, isn't that a
browser?

David