RE: [xsl] is XSLT 2.0 implementable? (was: N : M transformation)

Subject: RE: [xsl] is XSLT 2.0 implementable? (was: N : M transformation)
From: "Michael Kay" <michael.h.kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 11:13:23 -0000
> Mike Kay said:
> > See http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/#conformance
> >
> > Specifically:
> >
> > The XSL Working Group intends to define a conformance level
> for XSLT
> > processors that do not perform any schema processing. The detailed
> > rules for such a processor have yet to be defined.
>
> My only experience with levels of conformance is XSL-FO.
> How do you answer the point Daniel made, about the user
> hitting the 'not implemented' parts and getting v.frustrated.
> with fo, so far, its been a case of waiting for the darker
> corners to be implemented. Will xslt2 be a similar case? A
> bit like XT and keys not implemented?

If the market decides that it wants XSLT processors with schema support
then it will indeed get frustrated with products that don't offer it,
and vendors of those products will come under pressure to provide it.
If, as many people on this list are predicting, users don't care a damn
about having schema support, then they are unlikely to miss it. The
market will decide.

I can't see how XT and keys provides any analogy. XT is non-conformant
in this respect, and users will always get frustrated with products that
are non-conformant.

> There is also the slightly gray area of needing two
> implementations? Isn't it two implementations of all areas of a spec?

I don't understand the comment.

> I'm still of the opinion that the query crowd should take
> their schema and go find another sandpit to play in, taking
> the elegant advances of XSLT/XPATH2 as an advance on prior
> art and available to use as needed for their own purposes.

Actually, XQuery is going to have two levels of conformance as well.
There are people on the XQuery side of the fence who aren't interested
in schemas either. And we wouldn't be doing schema support in XSLT
unless there were major vendors like Microsoft, Oracle, and IBM who
claim that their users are clamouring for it.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx
work: Michael.Kay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx