Re: [xsl] is XSLT 2.0 implementable? (was: N : M transformation)

Subject: Re: [xsl] is XSLT 2.0 implementable? (was: N : M transformation)
From: Tobias Reif <tobiasreif@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 19:31:07 +0100
Michael Kay wrote:

But since participation does take a lot of time and effort, I think it's
inevitable that the process is biased towards the views of the people
who invest that time and effort.

Sure.

It's just that your original statement [1] nearly sounded as you don't really value the effort and time of people who invest time and effort in playing with the draft and experimental implementations and giving feedback or of implmenters who are trying to implement it, but can not pay USD 57,500 or USD 5,750 [2]. If that's not the case, then that's cool (although it sounded discouraging for anyone thinking about giving feedback without paying membership $s).

Anyways, David put it better than I could:

"Yes I know it's a bit of both but I'm still enough of an idealist to
believe that it isn't OK just to say that a specification can be taken
over by a group of database vendors and warped to their requirements at
the expense of the original users just because they are paying members of the organisation that promotes the standard. Concerns of existing users of a language should have weight when considering new versions of a language, irrespective of financial concerns."

Tobi

[1]
"If they were paying, either for the specs or for the products, then they might have more ability to influence the outcome... "
[2]
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Prospectus/Joining

--
http://www.pinkjuice.com/